Zucchini is the most valuable product for a healthy diet, an ideal first meal for a child and just a tasty vegetable, which makes an amazing stew, ratatouille and even lasagna. Buying frozen vegetables in the supermarket, you are likely to find yourself disappointed. Instead of the characteristic pleasant taste and delicate texture in the package will be unappetizing pieces of vegetable, which even after heat treatment will remain "rubber". If you have a rich harvest on your beds, it is useful to ask how to freeze zucchini for the winter, in order to preserve the fullness of taste and maximum nutrients.
Should I freezeEggplants can be frozen in the same way.
95% of the zucchini consists of water, and it is precisely this vegetable that owes its “modest” caloric content - only 20 kcal per 100 g. with B vitamins, ascorbic and nicotinic acids, tocopherol and provitamin A. The vegetable is rich in pectin and fiber, biotin and tartronic acid. When frozen, minerals and fiber are stored in full, and vitamins partially. In any case, the benefits of frozen zucchini will be more than from canned.
When harvesting vegetables, it is worth deciding in advance which dishes of them you plan to cook. It is more convenient to fry zucchini with slices, use the product crushed to the size of cubes with a side of 1-1.5 cm for cooking soup, caviar or stews. If you plan to cook vegetable cutlets, the zucchini can be grinded initially. As a basis for baby food the product can be crushed arbitrarily.
Ways to freeze fresh zucchini for the winterZucchini for baby food can not be cut too small, because then it will still be turned into mashed potatoes
- In its raw form. The easiest option: wash the courgettes, cut off the tail and the tip of each vegetable, grind it in an arbitrary way, put it in a container or plastic bag and put it in the freezer. If you plan to use the resulting product for cooking baby food or soup-puree, this option is ideal billet. You spend a minimum of time and as much as possible save useful substances. However, after defrosting, the zucchini will lose a lot of liquid and is simply not suitable for cooking other dishes.
- With the addition of salt. Washed vegetables are crushed, laid out in one layer on a paper towel, sprinkled with salt. An hour later, the secreted juice is carefully removed, the zucchini slices are packed in bags and frozen. As a result, you keep a maximum of useful components, and in the winter the defrosted vegetable will not lose its visual appeal.
- With pre blanching. Diced zucchini boiled in boiling water with citric acid for 3 minutes. The pieces are removed with a slotted spoon, dried and frozen in the usual way. In this embodiment, the vegetable retains its color and shape, but loses more than 30% of the vitamins.
- In the rubbed form. The vegetable is ground with a grater or combine, mixed with salt and left for 30 minutes at room temperature. After that, the released liquid is drained, the rubbed mass is gently pressed, packed in bags and placed in the freezer. You get the perfect base for a vegetable cake or meatballs.
- After heat treatment. You can freeze fried zucchini or ready-made vegetable stew without adding oil. In winter, it will be enough to send the dish to a skillet or a slow cooker, and you will get a tasty side dish in a few minutes. Vitamins in this version of freezing will be preserved only partially.
How to freeze a vegetable: a guide on video
What to cook in winter
The correct choice of available dishes will depend on the method of preparation you have chosen. So, frozen raw zucchini is suitable only for the preparation of mashed potatoes, soup, caviar or meatballs. Subject to prior heat treatment or the use of salt, thawed zucchini can be fried, used as a component for stews or ratatouille.Homemade squash caviar or vegetable platter in the winter - delicious snacks for the family
To ensure that vegetables remain as useful as possible and retain their original appearance, it is important to release as much air as possible before putting them in freezer from bags or containers with pieces of food. The product is not suitable for repeated freezing. A container with frozen vegetables should be taken immediately before cooking and immediately subjected to heat treatment.
Following these simple rules, you can enjoy rich vitamins and tasty vegetable dishes all year round.